Monday 4 December 2017

Direct and Indirect Speech

What is direct and indirect speech?
Saying exactly what someone has said is called direct speech (sometimes called quoted speech).
Here what a person says appears within quotation marks ("...") and should be word for word.
For example:
Roger said to me, "I play tennis in your backyard."

Indirect speech (sometimes called reported speech), doesn't use quotation marks to enclose what the person said and it doesn't have to be word for word.
For example:
Roger said to me that he played tennis in my backyard.


Tense changes
Statements
DIRECT  > INDIRECT
Simple Present    
> Simple Past
(S + V1) > (S + V2)
1) Arnold said, "I  play as a terminator." > 1) Arnold said that he played as a terminator.
2) Jack said, "Sparrow is my best friend." > 2) Jack said that Sparrow was his best friend.
Present Continuous
> Past Continuous
(S + am/is/are + V-ing) > (S + was/were + V-ing)
1) Johnny said, "I am playing games with Bravo." > 1) Johnny said that he was playing games with Bravo.
2) Tom said, "Jerry and Spike are sitting on the couch." > 2) Tom said that Jerry and Spike were sitting on the couch.
Present Perfect
> Past Perfect
(S + have/has + V3) > (S + had + V3)
1) Sylvester said, "I have taken my dinner." > 1) Sylvester said that he had taken his dinner.
2) Stallone said to Rambo, "Rocky hasn't called you yet." > 2) Stallone said to Rambo that Rocky hadn't called him yet.
Present Perfect Continuous
> Past Perfect Continuous
(S + have/has + been + V-ing) > (S + had + been + V-ing)
1) Brook said to Pedro, "Tamago has been waiting for you for the duel today." > 1) Brook said to Pedro that Tamago had been waiting for him for the duel that day.
2) Yurnero said to Lina, "I have been looking my sword since this morning." > 2) Yurnero said to Lina that he had been looking his sword since that morning.
Simple Past > Past Perfect
(S + V2) > (S + had + V3)
1) Ichigo said, "Aizen was a good guy to me." > 1) Ichigo said that Aizen had been a good guy to him.
2) Naruto said, "I ate ramen together with Iruka just now." > 2) Naruto said that he had eaten ramen together with Iruka just now."
Past Continuous > Past Perfect Continuous
(S + was/were + V-ing) > (S + had + been + V-ing)
1) Stark said to Rogers, "Me and Banner were creating Ultron." > 1) Stark said to Rogers that he and Banner had been creating Ultron.
2) Odin said to Thor, "Loki was asking for your help."  > 2) Odin said to Hela that Loki had been asking for her help.
Past Perfect > Past Perfect
(S + had + V3) > (S + had + V3)
1) Ryan said, "Reynolds had been a good teacher." > 1) Ryan said that Reynolds had been a good teacher.
2) Hugh said to Jackman, "I had finished my training since last week." > 2) Hugh said to Jackman that he had finished his training since a week ago."
Past Perfect Continuous > Past Perfect Continuous
(S + had + been + V-ing) > (S + had + been + V-ing)
1) Connor said, "Achilles had been hiding something from me for months. > 1) Connor said that Achilles had been hiding something from him for months.
2) Troy said, "I had been fighting along with Sparta for decades." > 2) Troy said that he had been fighting along with Sparta for decades."
Future Continuous > Past Future Continuous
(S + will + be + V-ing) > (S + would + be + V-ing)
1) Michael said, "I will be staying in Jordan's house for 2 days. > 1) Michael said that he would be staying in Jordan's house for 2 days.
2) Kobe said to Bryant, "We will be practicing Basketball in schoolyard tomorrow. > 2) Kobe said to Bryant that they will be practicing basketball in schoolyard the next day.

Questions 
DIRECT (Question) > INDIRECT (Statement)
Adam asked Adele, "Do you see the bomb?" > Adam asked Adele if she saw the bomb (or not).
Tupac asked Rihanna, "Are you listening to my song?" > Tupac asked Rihanna if she was listening to his song (or not).
My dad asked me, "Have you done your homework yet?" > My dad asked me whether I had done my homework (or not).
My teacher asked me, "Have you been doing well?" > My teacher asked me if I had been doing well (or not).
Matt asked Zacky, "Will you come with me?" > Matt asked Zacky whether he would go with him (or not).
Someone asked me, "Where is the nearest bus stop?" > Someone asked me where was the nearest bus stop.
Laxus asked Lucy, "What is Natsu's cat name?" > Laxus asked Lucy what Natsu's cat name was.
Eren wanted to know, "Why are you here Jean?" > Eren wanted to know why Jean were there.
Natasha wondered, "How does Wanda have that power?" > Natasha wondered how come Wanda had this power.
Scott asked Sam, "Who are our enemies?" > Scott asked Sam who their enemies were.
Stephen asked Wong, "When can I read the book of Cagliostro?" > Stephen asked Wong when he could read the book of Cagliostro.


Imperatives
DIRECT (Imperatives) > INDIRECT (Statement)
My mother asked to me, "Wash these dishes!" > My mother asked me to wash those dishes.
The captain said his men, "Attack from front and sides! > The captain ordered his men to attack from the front and sides.
Luffy told Zoro, "Wait for us in Wano Kingdom!" > Luffy told Zoro to wait for them in Wano Kingdom.
Makarov said to Gildarts, "Help Grey and Juvia for tomorrow's quest!" > Makarov requested Gildarts to help Grey and Juvia for the next day's quest.
Mourinho said to Martial, "Break their defence on the right side!" > Mourinho ordered Martial to break their defence on the right side.
Valencia said to Young, "Help Blind with his training." > Valencia requested Young to help Blind with his training.
Leonardo said to Raphael, "Don't drink too much!" > Leonardo advised Raphael to not drink too much.
Donatello said to Michelangelo, "Take a rest!" > Donatello advised Michelangelo to take a rest.
Putin told his bodyguards, "Stay there and wait for the signal!" > Putin commanded his bodyguards to stay here and wait for the signal.
The squad leader said, "Don't fire unless fired upon!" > The squad leader ordered to not fire unless fired upon.
My father told me, "Pass me the salt and pepper!" > My father told me to pass him the salt and pepper.



Sources:
https://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/reportedspeech.html
http://www.ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/direct-and-indirect-speech/
http://www.studyandexam.com/direct-indirect-speech.html
http://www.ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/question-forms-and-reported-speech/
http://www.studyandexam.com/indirect-speech-imperative-exclamatory.html

No comments:

Post a Comment